- Serves: 20
- Preparation time: 20 mins
- Cooking time: 40 mins
3tsp sunflower oil
500g aubergine, finely sliced
400g onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2tsp dried thyme
650g minced lamb
300g carrots. finely diced
600g tinned tomatoes
2tbsp tomato puree
2tbsp olive oil
50g basil, freshly ground
50g parmesan, grated
1tbsp freshly chopped parsley
1.5kg McCain Chef Solutions Simply Slices, frozen
2 large tomatoes, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 200°c. Gas Mark 7
2. Drizzle the aubergine slices with a little of the oil and bake in the oven till a little softened.
3. Heat the remaining sunflower oil in a large pan and gently fry the onions until soft and golden. Add the garlic and herbs and cook for a further minute.
4. Add the lamb mince and carrots, brown well.
5. Add the tomatoes, puree and check seasoning. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 20 mins.
6. Pound the basil leaves in a pestle and mortar, add the oil and the parmesan, check the seasoning.
7. Make a white sauce by melting the butter and adding the flour, cook the flour out for a minute, then gradually add the milk and return to the boil until thickened.
8. Take off the heat. Check seasoning and add chopped parsley.
9. In an ovenproof dish, layer the sauce and aubergine slices, McCain Chef Solutions Simply Slices, dot with the pesto and top with the white sauce.
10. Garnish with the tomato slices and bake in a hot oven 200°C, Gas Mark 7 until piping hot, about 40/50 mins.